Friday, October 23, 2009

Houston Trip IQF


At the last minute I decided I could not miss Houston this year after all. On Wednesday the 15th I traveled half-way to my sister's house in Henderson, TX and then drove the rest of the way to the IQF show on Thursday. Lola (my GPS) and I made it fine - she took me straight to the George R. Brown Convention Center and to the valet parking.

The picture above was the entrance I walked into - a Fairyland of quilts. It was one of the most beautiful sights to my eyes!!! The quilts were spectacular, inspiring and no display was any greater than the other. You had to see them all and I did three times while I was there.


One of the great things that has been added to IQF is the Make-It-University (MIU) headed by the Quilting Art's Team. They do a fantastic job of organizing. The Open Studios where you can see the Artist who contribute to QA and see them work their magic with their favorite techniques. MIU also gives 25 lucky people per session the opportunity to work with these artist. You put your name in a fish bowl and be there when Pokey Bolton pulls them out - then when they call your name - your scream and everyone moves out of your way so you can get into your seat. I don't know if they moved because I was screaming or just because I was coming through. (I did remember to say excuse me - mother would have been proud). I only put my name into 2 bowls on Friday - and joy I got both of them. One was the postcard using images, gel stamps, and Misty Fuse on a postcard. The other one was using the wonderful TAP paper images on a journal page. I even came home and immediately stitched it down and put a back on it. Unusual for me to finish things.
Every year when I leave Houston, I say it will be my last year - it is just so tiring. However, this year I decided to drive down again next year, if I am physically able. It is just the most wonderful place to be and to have fun.

1 comment:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

OMGosh, it sounds like you had a good time AND luck was with you. So much fun to do the new techniques and have a perfect teacher for them.

I am thinking of attending the show in Chicago next year. Its so close, I can't imagine why I have never gone.